Meaning of social distancing
What is social distancing:
Social distancing is a health measure that consists of maintaining a safe distance between people and temporarily suppressing physical contact, in order to reduce the speed of the spread of a virus during an epidemic. It can also involve preventive isolation.
The measure has two implicit purposes. On the one hand, stop the exponential rise in infections. On the other hand, to prevent the collapse of the public and private health systems, so that they can respond efficiently during a health crisis.
Social distancing can be voluntary or it can be decreed by the authorities when there is a state of alarm, especially when an epidemic turns into a pandemic. For example, the COVID-19 emergency.
Social distancing rules
- Preserve a distance of two meters between person and person.
- Suppress physical contact gestures and greetings such as kisses, hugs, and handshakes.
- Avoid group meetings and crowds of people.
- Quarantine, that is, isolate yourself at home for a certain time, already voluntarily, already in obedience to the authorities and experts (sick or not).
- Respect the contingency rules of public establishments (ground layouts, allowed capacity, etc.).
For social distancing measures to be truly effective, they must be practiced in conjunction with hygiene rules or measures. These have the function of containing and eliminating the pathogens that cause diseases. Namely:
- Wash your hands with soap several times a day for 30 seconds.
- Covering your face with your elbow or a tissue during bouts of coughing or sneezing. If you use a handkerchief, discard it and wash your hands immediately.
- Avoid touching your face with your hands.
- Do not share food and drink utensils with anyone.
- Ventilate spaces adequately.
- Disinfect the spaces by means of a good cleaning.
- Use masks or face masks (especially indicated for people infected or with suppressed immune systems). If the mask is disposable, discard it after the first use. If the mask is reusable, wash and disinfect it after each use.