Meaning of Leader
What is the Leader:
Leader is the director, head or leader of a political party, a social group or another community. The leader is seen as the person capable of incentivizing, motivating and influencing the behavior or mindset of his team staff with the purpose of working for the common good.
The leader has the function of transmitting a global and integrated vision, showing confidence to the group, guiding and mobilizing people to achieve the objectives set, encouraging and maintaining the interest of the group despite the obstacles and crises that may be encountered along the way. throughout the work, reinforce events and when necessary correct deviations. Likewise, the leader must use the full potential of his staff and distribute the functions to each one.
The leader can be chosen spontaneously or imposed. In reference to this point, the legitimate and illegitimate leader can be observed. The legitimate or formal leader is the one who is chosen by the organization complying with the procedures established in the normal laws, for example: the leader of a sports team is carried out under the votes of his entire team, on the other hand, the illegitimate or informal leader obtains his authority through illegality.
On the other hand, the term leader refers to the team or athlete who leads a sports competition.
The synonyms for leader are: guide, leader, ringleader, representative, superior, etc.
Finally, the word leader comes from English leader which means "guide", it is composed of 2 words: lead which expresses "direct" and the suffix er which means "the agent who does the action."
The word leadership translated in English is leadership.
Types of leaders
- Democratic leader is characterized by allowing group participation in decision-making and listening carefully to the opinion of the entire team. The democratic leader seeks the good of the group, helps and guides his workers, delegates the functions to each of them since he trusts in their abilities and, something very important, fosters the feeling of belonging to the group.
- What is antagonistic to the democratic leader is the authoritarian or autocratic leader, since he is considered the only competent one, with the right and power to decide without taking into account the opinion of the group.
- A charismatic leader, his main characteristic is to enthuse his work team.
- Born leader, is one that never went through a procedure to develop skills and qualities, but has always had the essential characteristics of a leader, mentioned in this article. For example: Mahatma Ghandi.
- Leader Laissez - faire, is a term of French origin that means "to let it pass" or "to let it be". This type of leader does not intervene in management, since it is based on the fact that people who work without supervision of anyone excel and only act when necessary and with the least control or inspection possible.
Characteristics of a leader
A leader has several characteristics, among which we can mention the following:
- Ability to communicate.
- Ability to define goals and objectives.
- Ability to influence subordinates through their behaviors and thoughts.
- Ability to handle emotions and feelings.
Leader and leadership
The terms leader and leadership are related from their definition. This is because leadership is the condition of a person to be able to be a leader and direct a group of people and positively influence mentalities and behaviors. Leadership allows the leader to develop new skills or characteristics, and guide a group of people to achieve the objectives set, and thus achieve the success of the company.
The leader is the person with the ability to analyze the positive and negative points of subordinate personnel management, and in this way design a strategic plan to support efficiency and overcome failures through communication. In an organization, the leadership issue is very important since it is related to success or failure, that is, with achieving or not the objectives set, allowing the company to achieve sales volumes, production and assets.
For more information, see the leadership article.
Leader and boss
The person who works under the figure of chief is the superior of a body or office and has the authority to command and demand obedience. In turn, the leader seeks to motivate his work team to achieve the objectives set, and develop great skills.