Meaning of Overweight
What is overweight:
Being overweight is an excessive and abnormal accumulation of body fat that is harmful to health.
Today, being overweight is a public health issue. The three ways to calculate overweight are:
- using the BMI or body mass index: the BMI is calculated using the weight / height formula². For example, for a person who is 1.60 meters tall and weighs 70 kilos, his BMI would be: (70 / (1.60 x 1.60)) = 70 / 2.56 = 27.34. This means that the person is within normal ranges but very close to being overweight.
- by waist circumference: Overweight is considered if the waist circumference of a woman is more than 80 cm and that of a man is more than 94 cm.
- by means of the waist-hip index: It is the division of the perimeter between the waist and the hip that is usually measured by a doctor since it involves many variables.
Causes of being overweight
The main causes of being overweight are poor diet, sedentary lifestyle or genetic factors.
Poor diet lies in the decrease in the consumption of fruits, vegetables, milk and meat in relation to the increase in the consumption of soft drinks and refined carbohydrates. Therefore, you must resort to healthy eating habits.
Sedentary lifestyle is one of the causes of overweight due to little physical activity in schools. For adults, it has been office jobs and little time to exercise. It is estimated that a person should exercise regular physical activity, that is, a minimum of 30 minutes of exercise at moderate intensity, 3 to 4 times a week,
If the overweight is due to genetic factors, it should be accompanied by a specialist, support groups and psychologists.
You may be interested in reading about the meaning of Sedentary.
Consequences of being overweight
The consequences of being overweight are generally in terms of health, but also affect the psychology of the person. In extreme cases, they can cause eating disorders such as bulimia and anorexia.
The physical consequences of being overweight are summarized in:
- 12 times higher mortality in young people between 25 and 35 years old,
- An expense of 22% to 34% more in family income,
- There is a 25% probability of incapacity for work,
- Increased chance of getting diabetes (high blood glucose),
- Increased likelihood of developing cardiovascular diseases, such as high blood pressure, joint problems, and some types of cancer.
Symptoms of being overweight
Being overweight can present some symptoms before it becomes serious, and it deserves our attention and consultation with a doctor. Some of them are:
- Difficulty breathing
- Weakness in physical exercises
- High blood pressure
- High level of cholesterol and triglycerides in the blood
- Psychological disturbances such as anxiety
- Loss of self-esteem and depression
Overweight in Mexico
Being overweight is the main public health problem in Mexico. Mexico is located:
- in the first place of child overweight according to the WHO (World Health Organization), with 26% overweight in the school-age population and
- in second place for overweight in adults, with 72% overweight in women over 20 years old, and 66% overweight in men over 20 years old.
Difference between overweight and obesity
The difference between overweight and obesity is determined by the value of the body mass index (BMI). A person with a BMI between 18.5 to 24.9 is considered within normal ranges. An overweight person has a BMI between 25 to 29.9, and an obese person has a BMI over 30.