Meaning of Thesis
What is a Thesis:
A thesis is a conclusion, proposition, opinion or theory that is supported by reasoning. A thesis is also a work of a scientific nature, usually to obtain a doctor's degree from a university.
Thesis comes from Latin thĕsis, which in turn derives from the Greek θέσις (thesis, "establishment", "proposition", "placement"), originally from tithenai ("file"). This word has the peculiarity of not varying in its plural form.
A degree thesis is a research project carried out at the end of a university degree. It expands or deepens an area of human knowledge by providing a novelty or a critical review applying what has been learned in the career, using scientific methods.
Steps for a thesis
To carry out a thesis, a series of steps are normally followed. These can be more depending on the nature of the thesis but they are summarized in:
- search and choose a topic,
- the formulation of a project or preliminary project,
- the execution of the project,
- the elaboration or development of the thesis, and
- the defense of the thesis.
Structure of the thesis
A degree thesis usually follows a series of research protocols that indicate the structure it must have. The structure of the degree theses must include the following sections:
- Table of Contents,
- thanks and dedications,
- table and figure index,
- general introduction,
- background and theoretical foundation,
- development of the topic (general description, subjects and groups of subjects involved, expected benefits, general and specific objectives, justification),
- methodology (data collection method and instruments used),
- results and analysis of results,
- conclusions and recommendations,
- research limitations,
- bibliographic references and appendices (graphics, images and additional data).
- Parts of a thesis.
- Research protocol.
A thesis project is a document prior to the preparation of a thesis. In this type of project, the fundamental characteristics of a thesis are usually established, such as the approach or the research methods.
It is used as a reference, planning and orientation to carry out the thesis.
The thesis project is presented to the thesis supervisor or advisor and the frame of reference is usually included, including the title, topic, objectives, justification and theoretical framework, methodology, chapters and bibliography.